Redirect to CHS blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Type Tuesday

A poster advertising a large selection of type from Price Typography of San Francisco has been in my office for some time. It is awaiting its home in our Kemble ephemera collection, but I have been slow to house it. I am too thrilled by the gigantic square sheet listing types alphabetically from Advertisers Gothic to Zeppelin, delighted by its quirky mix of traditional type, such as Baskerville, and novelty type with names like Hobbit Initials and Unicorn. The later two types look as if they could have been carefully rendered on to a Peechee folder during an excruciatingly long third period American Government class. 



The poster looks to have been created in the mid-1970s which probably has much to do with my fascination as I was also created in the mid-1970s and can therefore associate much of the type with the products and popular culture I grew up with. Celtic makes me think of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album; a mix of Cooper Black and Cooper Black Italic recalls the opening credits to Diff'rent Strokes; and I am quite sure Gallia was the font used on the cover of the copies of The Great Gatsby we were assigned to read in high school. 




Do any of these types spark recollections?




Jaime Henderson,
Archivist

2 comments:

jgendar said...

That has to be from Letraset. It's giving me seventies flashbacks. I wanted every typeface in their catalog.

Unknown said...

These fonts are Fototype created by Price Typography. Fototype was imprinted on pads of cardboard. The indvidual characters could be peeled off and mounted as copy to be reproduced in the printing process. If you like Letraset stay tuned for an upcoming post on Modi-Film!